This page enumerates all changes for the incremental JW6 releases. See Migrating from JW5 to JW6 for the changes introduced in JW Player 6 overall.
02-06-2014: JW Player 6.8 brings major updates to advertising with support of VAST 3.0 and VMAP specifications. Along with the advertising expansion, the player responds 4x faster in html5 mode, contains more conservative adaptive switching during HLS playback, and provides support for creating FCC closed captioning compliance.
6.8 also has a brand new designed default skin. Pro and Premium licenses holders have access to the newly designed Pro Skins Pack.
- Newly designed six and five skins.
- FCC Captions Compliance by supporting further customization of caption styling options.
- HTML5 video renders up to 4x faster.
- Ability to extract ID3 metadata from RTMP streams.
- Newly designed and imagined Pro skins.
- VAST 3.0 Compliance
- Skippable linear creative
- Customizable skip message.
- Ad Pods
- Progress and ad skip trackers
- New error codes sent to ad servers when ad playback fails.
- Wrapper parsing updates on playing ads and sending tracking events.
- API updates to determine which ads are currently playing, skipped, and completed.
- VMAP 1.0 - able to parse ad schedules from a VMAP tag.
- Audio only mp3 creatives play in the JW Player.
- Ads show up on the timeslider rail in all skins with the timeSliderCue skin element.
- Volume API calls work with VPAID ads.
- Improved HLS Adaptive switching algorithm that provides less buffering and more viewing.
- Customizable ad skip countdown message.
- Volume slider thumb no longer disappears when at zero volume.
- Improved click tracking on VAST 1.0 tags to reflect wrapped tags.
- onresize() was not firing correctly in HTML5, this now fires when the player is resized.
- Removed hd toggle that appeared in the ad playback control bar.
- Fixed hd/cc toggle in flash mode that made it so a viewer could not tell if the HD was on or off.
- Fixed playback issues with certain VPAID ad tags that used adparameters.
- Fixed positioning issues with certain DFP nonlinear overlay takeover ads.
- Fixed timeslider thumbnails that were not formatted correclty when using multiple sprites in Flash.
- Fixed an issue with Adobe SiteCatalyst where extra information was being pinged.
- YouTube iframe fallback on iOS 7 is now formatted correctly.
11-07-2013: The 6.7 release introduces ad skipping for VAST 2.0 ad tags, nonlinear ad support in HTML5, and chapter navigation in the player control bar.
- VAST 2.0 and 1.0 ads can now be skipped after preprogramming timed offset.
- Nonlinear creatives can now be used in the HTML5 player.
- Chapter markers points can be added with the WebVTT standard track file.
- Native fullscreen support in HTML5 for IE11.
- Created an API event for when an ad is skipped that will allow publishers to further customize ad interactions.
- When iFrames are supported, the JW Player can be played in fullscreen.
- The fontFamily for captions can now be configured to non-latin fonts.
- When only one language or video quality is present, the player skin shows HD/CC as a toggle instead of an overlay options menu.
- Advanced HLS features (AES, DVR, 608) have been moved to the Ads edition of the JW Player.
- JW Analytics cannot be disabled anymore in the Pro/Premium edition (but they can in the Ads edition).
- AAC Audio streams with ID3 tags no longer cause errors. Stay tuned for ID3 metadata provided in the API.
- Removed a flash memory leak that was present during HLS playback.
- Several fixes to HLS flash provider to allow videos that were either playing audio or were encrypted and not playing.
- A fix to prevent midrolls from causing playback to buffer indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue with onDisplayClick for IE10 for ad clickthroughs.
- Mobile players now use customizable skins instead of the device default controls.
- Support for 2x retina skins across desktop and mobile.
- Support for DVR seeking in HLS streams.
- Support for CEA-608 captions in HLS streams.
- Support for elementary AAC/MP3 audio streams in HLS.
Updates and Enhancements
- Playlist on mobile is now scrollable with one finger.
- Related sharing tooltips can now be customized.
- onDisplayClick() works on mobile.
- Controls API also function during ad playback.
- Doubleclick on display now toggles fullscreen.
- Option to add horizontal volume slider in audio mode.
- New “basic” listbar layout that only shows titles.
- Dock buttons are also displayed in the idle state.
- Proper primary mode and fallback selection for RSS feeds.
- VAST linear ad interface consolidated into the control bar.
- Advertising API calls now available for Google IMA (except playAd).
- Support for VAST 1.0 tags in HTML5 mode.
- Support for custom HD labels with SMIL/M3U8 manifests.
- 404 on HLS playlist won’t error out entire stream.
- For HLS live streaming only the active playlist is pulled from CDN.
- For live streaming the redundant time slider is now replaced with the event title.
- Video aspect ratio is detected for single bit rate HLS streams.
- Skin divider elements now appear correctly.
- When removing dock button its tooltip also hides in Flash.
- Offset issues with seekbar on display relative pages in WebKit.
- playIcon now hides in HTML5 when removed from skin.
- More robust hiding of the time slider in skins.
- Listbar description colors now picked up in HTML5 mode.
- Built-in IE popup blocker no longer blocks clicks in Flash for VAST ads.
- VAST playAd and onBeforePlay fixes in Flash mode.
- More tolerant VAST 2.0 parsing in HTML5 mode.
- VAST xml parsing on Android.
- Parsing xml namespace in DFXP captions.
- Parsing of HLS live streams with program datetime tag.
- Support for encrypted HLS streams with uppercase initialization vector.
- HLS playback in Flash with a server-absolute key file path.
- New: The 8 premium skins are now available to Pro users (Pro edition).
- New: Integration with Adobe SiteCatalyst for easy setup of advanced video analytics (Premium edition).
- Update: Hiding the title from the play icon, using the "displaytitle" option.
- Update: An onSetupError() callback that gets called when the player cannot be setup.
- Update: A getPlaylistIndex() API call, which returns the index of the active item.
- Update: Live Closed Captions rendering using RTMP and the Wowza or Adobe media servers.
- Update: Setting of custom dimensions of the related videos thumbnails (Premium edition).
- Update: Support for AES128 decryption of HLS fragments (Premium edition).
- Update: Several new VAST tag replacement variables, including playlistItem options (Ads edition).
- Fix: Smooth scaling of poster and playlist thumbnails in Flash mode.
- Fix: Picking the high-quality thumbnail from YouTube RSS feeds.
- Fix: Seeks inside the buffer for Flash pseudo-streaming don't trigger a re-fetch.
- Fix: RSS setups now fallback to Flash if the format isn't supported in HTML5.
- Fix: Skipping of HLS for a multi-source setup on Android 4.0.
- Fix: Playback of YouTube videos with non-alphanumeric characters on iOS/Android.
- Fix: Correct display of YouTube error messages.
- Fix: Support for VAST creatives without filename extension or with MOV extension.
- Fix: JW Player inside a form stopped triggering a postback.
- Fix: The listbar now correctly redraws itself upon resize in a responsive setup.
- Fix: The video element in HTML5 mode now correctly resizes itself upon player resize.
- Fix: Controlbar audio-mode now correctly kicks in with a listbar and ignores max-width.
- Fix: Embedding of JW Player on pages that have a "direction:rtl" CSS rule.
- Fix: Proper handling of timecode gaps in HLS discontinuities.
- Fix: Proper handling of comments in RSS feeds in HTML5 mode.
- Fix: Parsing for certain PMT tables and ADTS headers for HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Seeks beyond the duration don't enter an infinite buffer anymore for HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Inconsistencies in the onSeek(), onPlay() and onResize() event callbacks.
- Fix: Playback of MP3-only HLS streams in TS now works OK..
- Fix: Bottom-left and bottom-right logo now placed correctly, just above the controlbar.
- Fix: Inconsistencies in Complete, Mute and Fullscreen tracking for VAST in Flash.
- Fix: Triggering of lowest bitrate for RTMP streams with no/partial width attributes.
- New: Added support for VAST 2.0 linear non-interactive ads in the HTML5 player
- New: Added support embedding the player in a responsive design via a new aspectratio parameter and percentage-based width.
- Update: Option-based disabling of Stage Video acceleration for MP4/FLV, RTMP and HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Issue where the download fallback would not render with multiple sources where the first was RTMP or HLS.
- Fix: Issue where players would not setup if the Ember.js library was used on the same page.
- Fix: Issue where tracking requests are not triggered when a VAST tag’s duration is set to 0.
- Fix: Issue where ads sometimes won’t play while in fullscreen mode.
- Fix: Issue where server-absolute links do not work on hosted players.
- Fix: Issue in Flash where multiple mid-rolls would not play in Chrome.
- Fix: Issue in Flash where some IMA tags won’t load.
- Fix: Issue in HTML5 where ads don’t play when the player falls back from Flash.
- New: Added support for tooltip thumbnails in the time slider.
- New: Added support for publishers and users to set the default quality level and caption track.
- New: Added support for VPAID non-linear overlays (Ads edition).
- Update: Introduced Apple Airplay support by setting flag on video element.
- Update: Introduced support for RTMP 302 redirects
- Update: Added Envivio HLS stream support (Premium edition).
- Update: Improved advertising UX by showing a buffering icon while ads load (Ads edition).
- Fix: Issue where some HLS streams don’t start with a black screen
- Fix: Issue where certain VAST XML causes the player to crash
- Fix: Issue where HLS type detection in HTML5 mode doesn’t work
- Fix: Issue where the time slider tooltip mismatches the actual seek time in Flash mode
- Fix: Issue where sometimes RTMP application / id were not detected.
- Fix: Removed buffer icon after seeking is complete in IE10.
- Fix: Issue where captions don’t initially render in the correct position
- Fix: Issue where captions disappear after switching to fullscreen
- Fix: Issue where setting controls:false does not hide controls on mobile devices
- Fix: Issue where VPAID non-linear overlays don't go away
- Fix: Issue where VAST ad volume is not changed
- Fix: Issue where VPAID non-linear overlays toggle the video to play if it’s paused
- Fix: Issue where an onReady event fires even if player fails to set up
- Fix: Issue with FireFox in Flash mode where the play icon stays highlighted
- Fix: Issue in HTML5 mode where the controls can still be clicked when disabled
- Fix: Issue in Flash mode where mouse cursor is not hidden in fullscreen
- Fix: Issue in Chrome where preview images do not load with a 302 redirect
- Fix: Issue where clicking on the commercial player’s logo would not play/pause the video
- Fix: Issue where mimetypes are not detected in RSS
- Fix: Removed undocumented fields from returning via the playlist API
- Fix: Issue where playlist types are not filtered out based on the player’s mode
- Fix: Issue where poster images are not refreshed when loading a new playlist
- Fix: Issue where embedding with sources would not load items into the active playlist
02-06-2013: The 6.2 release introduces support for Google IMA3 in HTML5 mode, as well as a number of fixes:
- New: Single binary for all player editions, so re-downloads are not needed after upgrading.
- New: Support for the Google IMA3 SDK in HTML5 mode, in particular iOS/Android (Ads edition).
- Update: Basic mechanism to set global defaults for embeds in player library.
- Update: Introduced the ability to set custom URLs for html5/flash players.
- Update: Support for discontinuities in HLS streams (Premium edition).
- Fix: Player not loading in IE7
- Fix: Fixed an issue which caused certain HLS streams to fail
- Fix: Added aliases for RTMP (smil) and HLS (m3u8) type values
- Fix: HLS now always resumes from live head after pause
- Fix: Disabled analytics plugin no longer gets loaded
- Fix: Some HLS live streams eventually error out on #1010
- Fix: Fixed an issue where and HLS stream would fail with error code #2006
- Fix: When stop() called onComplete, player no longer advances to next playlist item
- Fix: Fixes an issue where calling seek() on Android devices would restart playback.
- Fix: HLS should buffer instead of complete when ending live playlist
- Fix: Certain HLS streams with MP3 don't have audio
12-17-2012: The 6.1 release bundles a few HLS enhancements and a number of bug fixes:
- New: Faster HLS starts and seeks, by starting playback while still downloading (Premium edition).
- New: Improved, less bandwidth maximizing HLS quality switching (Premium edition).
- New: Explicit omission of Android from HLS support, due to critical bugs (Premium edition).
- Fix: Centering CSS is not reset inside JW Player, leading to broken player designs.
- Fix: Cross-origin errors when loading JW Player in cross-domain iFrame.
- Fix: After interacting with a player, no more text can be selected on a page.
- Fix: Elapsed and remaining time cannot be hidden in skins.
- Fix: The combination of RTMP dynamic streaming and live FC Subscribing breaks.
- Fix: Manual RTMP quality switching is not instant.
- Fix: Ordering of quality levels is not consistent across modes and formats.
- Fix: Generation of quality labels is not consistent across modes and formats.
- Fix: When fallback is disabled, the player still clears the original DIV.
- Fix: Page scrollbar still visible in IE9 fake-fullscreen.
- Fix: Returning from fullscreen sometimes results in scaled video on iPad.
- Fix: In Flash mode in fullscreen, the controls don't fade out.
- Fix: Relative paths to MP4 not working on IE8.
- Fix: Title in display not appearing in Premium player.
- Fix: API calls in HTML5 mode in onReady() queue not working.
- Fix: MEdia errors not exposed to API in HTML5 mode.
- Fix: Cross-domain loaded captions fail in IE9 in HTML5 mode.
11-09-2012: Initial release of JW6.
See Migrating from JW5 to JW6 for an overview of changes from most recent player version, JW5.